Sunday, July 10, 2011

Twinsight 17 of 50: Savor Summer Meals with Friends

It is around the table that friends understand best, the warmth of being together. - Unknown

Don, Gerry, Maria, DeLonn
(counterclockwise)
When I think of the simple pleasures in life that I enjoy most, creating and enjoying a meal with friends is high on my list. And summer is my favorite time because the foods are freshest, we can sit outside on the patio, and there just seems to be more time.

I recently got around to skimming a book that I'd heard about, Animal, Vegetable, Miracle, by Barbara Kingsolver. With her husband and daughter, she describes how they took a year to deliberately eat foods in season grown near their home. Although that level of commitment wouldn't work in our lifestyle right now, it inspired me to always be taking advantage of the season's freshest food. I thought I'd share the recipes for a meal I enjoy preparing and sharing. It serves around six. The recipes reflect the way that I've learned and continue to learn to cook: through a real and virtual "village" of people who have added spice to my life.

Appetizer Platter
I usually simply arrange a light platter of some combination of grapes, pear slices, slices of a nice cheese, onion jelly, almonds, and crackers.

Tangy Mixed Grill
* My friend, Mary, who is from Seattle introduced Leah and me to this wonderful marinade that I shared in an earlier blog but it's my current favorite so I want to share it again! 
6-8 pieces of the meat you want to serve (salmon, chicken, beef, pork, shrimp, etc.)
1/4 cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2/3 cup olive oil
4 green onions cut into 1-inch strips
1-1/2 teaspoons garlic powder
1-1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper

Combine all ingredients, add meat, and refrigerate in Ziploc bag at least four hours. If you want to serve two kinds of meat (e.g., chicken and jumbo shrimp on skewers), divide the marinade in two Ziplocs (or double the recipe) and refrigerate the two types of meat in separate bags.

Mango Salsa
* I found this recipe on some website. I love the zip and color it adds to your meat..
1 large mango, ripe, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/4" cubes
1 small pepper (as strong as you want to get), cut in 1/4" cubes
3 tablespoon. minced green onion
2 tablespoon snipped fresh cilantro
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

Combine ingredients. Refrigerate, covered, several hours to meld flavors.

Tomato Pie
 * Thanks to my cousin, JoeAnn, for this family favorite. It's essentially a fresh tomato pizza.
1 baked pie shell
1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
4 medium ripened tomatoes
3 tablespoons butter, melted
Fresh (or dried) basil leaves to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
3 tablespoons Parmesan cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place Mozzarella in cooled, baked pie shell. Slice tomatoes, and place on rack to drain. Place drained tomatoes in pie shell, and drizzle with melted butter. Season with salt, pepper and basil. Top with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 25-30 minutes. Let pie stand 5 minutes before cutting into 6 pieces.

Baby Greens with Pine Nuts
*I think I started making this salad from a recipe, but now I'm comfortable enough with it that I regularly change it up. Here's one variation.
4 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 teaspoon sugar
Salt and pepper to take

Baby greens (enough for 6 salad plates, usually 1-2 bags)
4 tablespoons shallots or green onions

1 cup Parmesan cheese shavings
1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted

Whisk together dressing ingredients (vinegar, garlic, oil, sugar, salt and pepper). Place mixed greens and shallots in large bowl. Toss with dressing (you may not need it all) and divide salad among 6 plates. Sprinkle each with cheese and nuts.

Whole Grain Rolls
I pick up whatever looks good. I really like the taste and ease of the New French Bakery breads.

Blueberry Crisp
* My friend, Joyce, brought this Betty Crocker classic to book club many years ago and now it's a family favorite.
6 cups fresh blueberries (or 2-16 oz. pkgs. frozen unsweetened)
4 tablespoons lemon juice
1-1/3 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup flour
1 cup quick-cooking oats
2/3 cup butter, softened
1-1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Ice cream (my favs are cinnamon or vanilla bean)

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Arrange blueberries in a greased 9" x 13" glass pan. Sprinkle with lemon juice. Mix brown sugar, flour, oats, butter, cinnamon and salt; sprinkle on top. Bake until topping is light brown and blueberries are hot - about 30 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

Colorful, flavorful...ready to savor with friends! Any summer favorites you have?

Thanks for your time! To follow this blog, click "follow" in the blue bar at the top, or key your email address into the long white space and click "submit."

1 comment:

  1. Dinner around the Swenson table is certainly hospitable and highly memorable. I can personally vouch for the mango salsa.
    Joann - there's such life in your writing. It's fun to follow.
    kim

    ReplyDelete