Sunday, August 7, 2011

Twinsight 21 of 50: Intentionally Grow in Wisdom

Art, Jo, Steve, Esther
A few weeks ago, I introduced the idea that four leadership qualities can converge in your 50s—energy, interdependence, wisdom and humility. I’ve really enjoyed gaining insights from four friends who are age 50+ about these qualities. Today I’d like to reflect on what I’ve learned from Pastor Art Grimstad about the core role that wisdom plays in leadership. At nearly age 93, he continues to be an amazingly wise, godly man, and a devoted husband to his wife, Esther, who will soon be 95.

Pastor Grimstad (whom we fondly call "Grimy") was a professor of ours at Concordia College in Moorhead, MN. As a matter of fact, he is the teacher who had the most profound impact on my life. In addition to taking a biblical studies class from him, both Steve and I attended his packed-house weekly bible study during our college years and were under his leadership when we traveled with Christian music teams. Then, along with other engaged couples, we had the privilege of meeting with both Art and Esther each week throughout our senior year for group premarital counseling, ending with him marrying us after we graduated.

Throughout his life, he has served in many roles including student, husband, father, grandfather, pastor, teacher, small group leader, visionary, development leader, global ministry advocate, counselor, and friend. As I think about his life and influence on me, I am struck by the the fact that he didn’t just wake up one day wise. He has intentionally taken actions to grow in wisdom. He:
  1. Asks for Wisdom. When you hear him talk about his life experiences - from recovering from a challenging childhood illness to leading the Billy Graham Crusade in Fargo, it's striking how his life has had many ups and downs but he has humbly sought God's wisdom at every turn. He embodies James 1:5: "If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you." How many times am I perplexed and have simply forgotten to ask and wait on God? I guess instant gratification and wisdom don't belong in the same sentence!
  2. Shares Wisdom. His first love is small group teaching, and he is an absolute master at it. He has a way of sharing his knowledge and insights in a digestible, practical way that makes you want to learn and grow more. And he has impacted hundreds of lives. Even today, he gives the chapel messages in their senior apartment building each week (to a full house), and deftly meets people where they're at and helps them grow.
  3. Cultivates Wisdom. When we visited the Grimstads this weekend, Steve and I were both struck by how he is still continually learning and discovering new ways that God is moving. He is reading a book about what's going on in the Middle East, and actively involved in a couple of global ministries. He continues to grow in wisdom and discernment, yet never feeling as if he's arrived.
His best piece of wisdom for us was a point he made over and over during our engagement, and reiterated in his meditation at our wedding. Remember that love is a choice. There will be days when you don’t feel loving and don’t want to love. But you wake up and choose to love. It’s simple, challenging, and life changing.

Thank you, Grimy, for profoundly impacting my life and spurring me on to continually seek wisdom.


To follow this blog, click “follow” in the blue bar at the top, or key your email address into the long white space and click “submit.”

1 comment:

  1. thanks, Jo, that was a good insight into his life. I'm sure you are thankful for the time you had with Grimy, I know that I am. I wish that I had taken more time to do so.
    Ethan B

    ReplyDelete