Saturday, June 18, 2011

Twinsight 14 of 50: Observe and Learn from Dads

Throughout the course of my life, I've had the privilege of being around a lot of great dads. Dads may not typically give as much verbal advice as moms, but you can learn a lot as you observe their behavior. The three outstanding ones whom I've had the opportunity to spend the most time with are my dad, my father-in-law and my husband, and I'd like to share one lesson I've learned from each of them.

From my dad, Bill Hall, I learned that it's important to teach your kids to make decisions and then let them. He was 43 when I was born, and I was an only child, so he sort of treated me like one of the adults. He gave me responsibility at an early age, and taught me through his experiences in running a farming business with his brothers, dealing with the associated risks, and doing everything you could to make high-quality products. In North Dakota, you could drive as early as your feet could reach the pedals and get your official license at age 14, so I was independent pretty early. When I was a junior in high school, I mentioned to my dad that I wasn't sure where to go to college or what to major in. He said, "Well, it's about time you figure that out. And make sure you study something you really like because you'll be spending a lot of time doing it." That was the extent of his advice, which frustrated me at the time, but forced me to look inside and make decisions I could live with. Now when I'm faced with a tough situation - particularly in the business world, I think, "What would Bill Hall do?" I can always stand tall when I do what he would have done.
My dad, Bill Hall
From my father-in-law, Don Swenson, I continue to learn to teach your kids to be lifelong learners. He's an incredibly curious man who is continually learning about areas he's interested in - like health, history, architecture, antiques, clarinets, Sweden - but also learning new things as he meet people and finds out all about them. I love how he cares about others and wants to always learn and grow. The girls have learned a lot from him as he quizzes them to keep them sharp and tells them interesting stories. His perspective on life definitely keeps him young and vibrant.

My father-in-law, Don Swenson, teaching Leah and Chloe to fish

From my husband, Steve Swenson, I've learned to teach your kids to enjoy day-to-day life. Our girls genuinely like hanging out with Steve. He banters with them, watches movies with them, teases them, prays with them, schleps them from point A to point B while singing with them in the car, does chores with them so it's not so much of a burden, participates in their activities, and studies with them. He even empathizes with them. (Two nights ago: "Oh yeah, that is a really cute snapping turtle crossing the road. No, we cannot pick him up but he'll be fine." Next morning: "Oh, I see it...the cute turtle got run over. I'm sure he didn't suffer a bit.") They are blessed to have a great dad, and I'm blessed to learn from him.

My husband, Steve Swenson, with Leah and Chloe











No comments:

Post a Comment