Monday, June 13, 2011

Twinsight 13 of 50: Arrange Life Around What's Most Important

Repeat after me: I can make a difference, but I cannot do it all. I can make a difference, but I cannot do it all.

Assuming that you agree with that mantra, how do we live it out? One way is to follow daily routines to stay grounded which was advice that I shared last week from those of you who gave me input. I'm also continually learning - and also hearing from many of you - that it's critical to arrange life around what's most important. So what does that mean in practical terms?
  • Enjoy the Roller Coaster. (It Does Stop.) Picture yourself on the fastest ride you've ever attempted. Exhilarating and unnerving probably, but it did eventually end. If you're in a season that is over-the-top busy as I am, remember that this level of pressure is temporary. The ride does stop moving and you do get to put each foot on the ground once again. Two seasoned moms with young adult children have keen insights. "Things will indeed slow down - not to boredom - but to the point that you have the ability to run your life rather than it running you," writes Dawn. And Roxane reflects, "Sometimes it felt like I just had to hang on tight and go for the ride and enjoy the scenery because it really does go by fast." Envisioning more reasonable-paced times on the horizon gives me fresh energy to enjoy the important ride now.
  • Juggle Fewer Balls. For some reason, I can't get it through my head that everything can't be of equal importance at the same time! I'm learning that I need to make sure that the activities I'm juggling are the right ones, which means setting some aside for the time being and being planful about the way I manage our family calendar. Steph writes, "I'm trying to work on saying no or not volunteering for things when the week/month is starting to feel too stressful. Zenbe.com and Google Calendar do a great job of keeping us organized and on the same page."
  • Stay Flexible. Just when life is mapped out, a curve ball comes out of nowhere, right? Or what looks fine on the screen or paper is just not working. When I'm feeling overwhelmed and perplexed, I usually panic or fret first (ugh!) but eventually I think through a quick checklist in my mind. Is the barrier primarily intellectual, emotional, physical or spiritual? Then I figure out the most realistic way to adjust - e.g., work from my home office when I have a work challenge and need a quick block of writing time (intellectual), call a friend to get her perspective (emotional), go for a run to clear my mind (physical), or read a Psalm (spiritual). Julie writes, "A finite resource that we all have is time. How we choose to spend it depends on what our priorities are. When I do have some control of my own time at home with too many things to do, I sometimes step back and ask, 'Is this really important right now?' Asking this question helps shift my focus at times. For me, the shift is usually to spending more time with people I care about."
  • Involve God. God is not a free vending machine (press button, get requested item). But for some mysterious reason, He desires a relationship with us and is moved when we pray. Sometimes I pray and my circumstances change (right away or over time). And sometimes the circumstances are the same but my heart changes. Either way, it's always a positive outcome. Here's what Bev does to keep life in balance: "Immediately surrender the situation and myself to the Lord Jesus, try to obey the principles that you shared [in earlier blog], pray, pray, pray, and be ready for people who God is prompting me to speak to or help...then count on Him for wisdom and grace for every time of need." Roxane adds that she "...prayed for emotional strength, physical stamina, and peace with the choices we all made" in the course of an intense season of life.
  • Give Yourself Grace. I wish I would have ________________. What's in your blank? For me, one thing is volunteered more at school through the years. When I feel a pang of disappointment or guilt about what I haven't done or am missing out on, I write it down along with the circumstances that kept me from doing it at the time, and decide if there's anything that I can do about it now. If so, I do it! If not, toss the paper and try to put it behind me. Steph says, "I think the best thing (and the hardest thing) I do is let myself off the hook once in awhile. No one else will care if the laundry sits in the dryer one more night, the cookies for the party are store bought and not homemade, or that I sent a card from Target and didn't make a crafty one myself."
So here's to arranging our lives around what's most important with some planning, a healthy dose of flexibility and prayer, and a lot of grace. I'd love to continue to share your great insights so keep them coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment