Sunday, May 8, 2011

Twinsight 8 of 50: Invest in Others' Lives

I wasn't born in a barn (which is the assumption that I think some people make when I tell them that I was born into a farming family in North Dakota). And even though it's cliche and not even proper English, I was raised by a village of sorts. The village included my parents plus an incredible array of people - particularly moms - who invested in my life. On this Mother's Day, I'd like to tell you about some of the moms in my village.

Other than my own mom, the first mom I remember being involved in my life was my childhood neighbor "Wisses" Wellman. I can hear her now. "Jo-AAAAANNNN Jean! Get in here and help me frost these cupcakes." I'd get a table knife, pull up a chair to stand on so I could reach the counter, and frost away. She had an accent from her Southern roots, which in and of itself seemed rather exotic to me, and was a marvelous baker. When there was something yummy on our kitchen counter, I'd always say, "Who brought this?" At least half the time it was Mrs. Wellman. (At some point, I actually could say Mrs.) She baked my 1st through my 18th birthday cakes. My favorite was a Barbie doll with a cake skirt when I was in 2nd grade. Remember those? In heaven now, she's probably having a blast teaching my mom to bake, and mom is even enjoying it! Mrs. Wellman and her family invested time in me, those small snippets of time that add up to make a significant impact.

And then there are special moms who have included me in their families through the years which is a big deal when you're an only child. My aunt Beverley was oh so tolerant and even enabling of all the crazy things that my cousin Connie and I dreamt up to do...all the slumber parties (not sleepovers in those days), "club" meetings, games and concerts, and trips to big cities like Grand Forks and Fargo. It's funny how as a kid that you assume that the planning, the meals, the clean up, the rides, and the funds somehow just magically happen. Another village member was my cousin JoeAnn. She has four daughters all around my age and they were so gracious in inviting me to their lake home where I learned to water ski. They even included me on a ski trip to Colorado where I first experienced mountain skiing. These two moms, along with their husbands and families, opened their homes so I could experience life with them and I'm so grateful.

From my hometown, there was also Bernice R. and Mary and Lois and Bernice F. and Ina and Betty and Carol and Eunice and Jan and Leona and Louise and Bonita and Lynette and...I could go on and on. And then there's my mother-in-law, Gerry. She is a genuinely delightful person who is always encouraging, positive and deeply caring.

Interestingly enough, I don't recall any particular platitudes or words of wisdom from any of them. It's possible that they shared them with me, but I wasn't paying attention! However, I do remember the way they lived their lives and the way they cared about me, laughed with me, and guided me. And many of them continue to be involved in my life today. Thank you to all the moms who have touched my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment